Librarian Ire

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Love it!

As I've been quite the slacker lately (damn them giving me work!) I thought I'd pass along this lovely phone conversation:

Phone person: "Yeah, I need to talk to someone about the overdue notice I got on a book."

Me: "Ok." I look her up. "Is this the title?"

Phone person: "Yes. I returned the book on friday right after I got the overdue notice."

Me: "Okaaay. Well, you were billed 1 day overdue for the book because it was supposed to be back on thursday."

Phone person, with indignation: "But I returned the book as soon as I got the overdue notice!"

Me: "Yes, but you see the overdue notice means that the item is already overdue. You've already earned fines."

Phone person: "You mean you don't send overdue notices before the book is overdue?"

It was hard not asking her if she could hear what she's asking. I laughed for quite some time.

3 comment(s):

While I have never, ever made mention of this service in my professional existance since the higher-ups think it's an invasion of privacy that shouldn't be promoted, http://www.libraryelf.com/ *does* send out notices before books are due. There are libraries that have links to that service on their webpages. Now if our catalogs would do this on their own so a seperate service weren't needed, wouldn't that be dandy? -a librarian in Boston

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:18 PM  

Yes, you can set systems up that way. But that she asked to get "The Overdue notice" BEFORE the book was due. Its not overdue until its overdue - after. She kept repeating "But I didn't get the overdue notice until after it was due!" No thinking...

By Blogger Loki, at 3:00 PM  

Too Funny! It's the library version of locking the barn door after the horse has escaped.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:25 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home