Librarian Ire

Monday, February 05, 2007

Miss Attitude

So here we are in the new semester.
All in all I can't complain about my new student workers. Except one. Of course there's always one.
Anyway Miss Attitude is not what you'd call a ball of fire. She could sit and study and do her e-mail from the time she gets here until the time she leaves. Not exactly what we are paying you for dear.
Hey, I could keep you busy from the time you get here until the time you leave. So watch it!
More than once I've had to remind her to do some very basic circ things such as printing the paging requests, reserve policy, and my personal favorite shelving. Stuff I know she knows, since she's worked here nearly a year now.
While she doesn't like to work when she's here she also doesn't like to take breaks or leave. Once I found her sitting behind the circ desk in the shelving area. When I asked her if she was all right(I first thought she was sick or something) she told me she was fine. She didn't bother to get up, even though it was sort of obvious I needed to move the ranges. I asked her what she was doing there. She then told me she was on her break. I pointed out she was 1) not allowed to sit in the stacks behind the desk and 2) not allowed to take her break while still behind the desk. And 3) she was in my way. And yes, I did say all of this nicely.
She didn't get it at all. Oh, she did get up and move, but waited until I was finished and sat back down on the floor in between the shelves.
She's very odd. I had to explain to her the concept of a required break recently.
But the reason I christened her Miss Attitude is that when I do ask her to do something she gets defensive. She will put it off until I have to ask her again. Or ask for an update. Then she sighs give me a look like she wants to challenge me and reluctantly leaves the desk. She will take a long time to do the task assigned to her.
There is a slight but scary resemblence to Velma, one of our previous circ assistants. We shall keep you posted if any more character traits pop up.

7 comment(s):

Oh man, I've been shying away from snarking on the work studies, but a few of them are plucking my last nerve. I think I've got Miss Attitude's sister working for me.

By Blogger Vampire Librarian, at 10:44 PM  

And I hate new blogger.

By Blogger Vampire Librarian, at 10:44 PM  

Ooh, I had a similar student worker once. He didn't understand why I wouldn't let him come to work early and read his newspaper with his feet propped up on the desk. His argument was that he wasn't clocked in so it shouldn't have mattered. It was like talking to a brick wall.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 AM  

My Library's recurring problem regards community service workers who come in either drunk (they're in for DUI anyway), or who try to forge their time sheets for the Court.

As an aside, I just switched from Blogger to WordPress. It's not quite as user friendly, but has a much better overall, "feel." In fact, WordPress just released a tool that migrates new Blogger posts and comments to WordPress. I've tried it, and it works like a charm. Be aware, however, that I've heard some reports that only 500 or so posts make the transfer so you might want to check with WordPress on this first if you have a lot of material to migrate.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 AM  

I think I have someone very similar working with me... She doesn't do the shelving for awhile after she gets here when the rest of our students do it first. She also always complains she is feeling sick when she's at work. *eye rolls*

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:10 PM  

Lives outside the library? Yes. However, this blog is called Librarian Ire - the purpose is to discuss the annoyances of life as a librarian. Thus all the posts regard the library.

Please advance to the next blog if you want to read about cats, grocery lists, neighbors, or carpet samples.

By Blogger Loki, at 9:13 AM  

I had a shelver like this once~totally lazy to begin with, and he could take four hours to do a twenty minute task. Once he was trained on the circ desk he seemed to think he was above shelving although that was his actually job title. I had to actually send him home once because, tho he was working for a circ person, because of some scheduling snafu we had too many circ clerks and i gave him the choice of shelving the MANY books we had stacked up or going home and he said "I'm not gonna stay if i have to SHELVE" with utter contempt in his voice.

By Blogger katreenka, at 4:59 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home