Librarian Ire

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Butthole alert!

This guy didn't know how close he came to a talk with security...

So, we work at the Circulation desk. Right nearby is the Reference desk. Across from these is the 6 crash bar entry doors, the gate alarms. All around are computers... I ask anyone - would you think this is the spot that will have NO noise?

So this as-cerbic person comes up to the desk and goes "Who's in charge here?"
I ask if he means here - this area - or something else. He gives visual attitude cues, then nods, so I reply I am.
Then he says, "This is a library do you think this means that you can talk?"
I'm all... "excuse me?" which I barely get out before he's all "you're just standing around talking; a library is a place for quiet and study..." I open my mouth to start to explain this is a service area there will always be talking, but I get maybe 2 words out before he interrupts and says "don't make excuses" and "what do I have to do to make you shut up?" and he said some other shocking crazy things but I was concentrating on controlling my fists so missed it all.

Well sir, if you don't want to listen to our voices let me call the police and get you removed you COMPLETE wack job!! So I just said, "ok" and he walked away... (because he was in no way going to accept any rational explanations)

My student was very frightened by this guy... he is definlty crazy in a murderous kind of way. I've got my eye on him now. He's using one of the research terminals - the second he accesses anything that isn't library created or owned I'm kicking his ass off! Not to mention my student and I are making it a point to speak very loudly to all people coming to the desk. Everyone's getting a greeting... books are being forceful put on shelves and counters...

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home