Librarian Ire

Monday, April 25, 2005

BO-ring

Here. Although, things have been mild. So I'm happy. Spent a lovely weekend reading.

I've had 2 weasels come in whining about fines today. One guy was bitching about a $1.50 fine from 4 years ago! I let him go on until I was sufficiently confident he felt like a retard, then I just forgave it an walked away. he he he I showed him. The other one I'm pretty sure was pulling a fast one, but this seemed to be her first try, so I gave it to her and took the opportunity to put a note in her record. She'll not get away with it again!

I'm overjoyed end of semester and summer approaches. We've already begun to work on those student schedules. Sigh, another year of my life wasted and I'm still not a kept woman.

6 comment(s):

How do you get out of paying fines? Seriously, what do people say that works?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:05 PM  

Mostly here it's a "student error" an example is "I really returned this on time, but it wasn't checked in."
Another is what we call the cold book syndrome. Someone will have claimed to return the book earlier in the year and when they look for it they magically find it. But if the book is cold(winter) or hot(summer) we know it was driving around in the car.

By Blogger Nike, at 9:15 PM  

You're not a mole, are you?!

There are many factors that can influence 'forgiving' a fine. (This excludes any true error fines) If its a really low fine and the person is horribly upset yet takes responsibility, if there is no history of previous fines and the patron's story seems plausible, if I'm in a very good mood and they are polite. Mostly its being polite, questioning not accusing, a semblence of legitimacy, and a lack of a history.

On occasion, like here, I do like to forgive the odd $1 fine after the patron stands at the desk and screams and yells, not giving me a chance to speak, and makes a complete fool of themself. They have humiliated themselves and I get to make note on their record that they are spazzes. The next time they come in to contest a fine their credibility is already shot.

By Blogger Loki, at 9:57 AM  

So mean. But so true.
I want to go on record as being against forgiving fines. The only exception being a downed system. Then we KNOW it's not your fault. Anything else you should pay.

By Blogger Nike, at 4:25 PM  

Wow, this blog is fascinating.

By Blogger zydeco fish, at 9:52 AM  

Librarians are a fascinating bunch!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home