Librarian Ire

Thursday, April 14, 2005

No excuse now

It's April. Happy spring!
But also because it's April I feel that the students have no excuse if you do not know the basic library rules. Or how to use it. If you have made it this far in your academic career without entering a library you deserve all the contempt that we can heap on you. Not to mention flunking out.
Such as creepy stupid guy who was here earlier today. Man I wish he'd flunk out.

He came up and told me his professor had put a bunch of books on reserve last week (which of course our hero needed) but he didn't know what they were, since he wasn't given a list.
Why should I or your professor have to do your work for you? I asked him if he ever used the course reserve page. No. (Of course not silly me.) Uh hello, Second semester in grad school. (Idiot.)
I showed him where it was and how to use it, pointing out that everyone should know how to use it by now. It is as idiot-proof as we could make it. So it isn't hard.
Then he finds the books and the call numbers. I retrieve them and he just stands there. (waiting for a sign from above, I guess) Then it dawns on him that he needs his library card to check them out. Oh yeah.
And then the lady who thought it necessary to spell her name for me. S-M-I-T-H. (Thanks for that. It's so hard to figure out.)

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home