Librarian Ire

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

For the Love of Pete!

Patron: "Can you tell me what copy number of the book I have checked out is?"

Me: "Why do you need the copy number, do you have more than one copy checked out?"

Him: "Yes."

Okaaayyy. I don't question. Well, I do, but the answers usually frighten me. I pull up his patron account. He has 11 books checked out.

Me: "What's the title of the book?"

Him: "Blah blah blah, really boring, blah"

Me: "You only have 1 copy of a book by that title."

Him: "Yes. What is the copy number?"

Fine. Back and forth I go on the screens. "Its copy number 1."

Him: "Copy # 1?"

Me: "Yes."

He's staring at me in confusion. I'm all 'right back at you freak-boy', but I try to help him out. "Its copy #1. It's from the chemistry library, so it will be stamped "Chemistry."

Him: "Copy #1. From Chemistry?"

Me: "Yesss."

Him: "No. I got it from the Physics library."

Me: "You may have checked it out there, but it is a Chemistry book. The Physics library does not own a copy of this book."

He's looking at me like I don't know what I'm doing and I just made that up. I watch him wander away (b/c of course once he's out of ear shot we're going to talk about him), he stops in place twice and turns around in a circle. Is he chasing his tail? What the heck? He makes a turn down a row of stacks. I turn to the co-worker to address this insanity and BAM! There he is in front of the desk again!

Him: "Can I find out the copy number of another book I have checked out?"

What the heck is with this? None the less, I look him up again, and search the title. "You only have one copy of that book."

Him: "Yes. What is the copy number?"

Me: "It's copy number 2. You know that if you only have 1 copy of a book, it doesn't matter what copy number it is- its that 1 book. If you need to know when its due, just look at your account, there is only that 1 book of that title."

Him: "Yes. Copy 2?"

Seriously, this has got to be the stupidest guy on the planet.

4 comment(s):

Please tell me calculator boy and chasing tail boy are the same. Otherwise it's just too scary for words.

By Blogger Nike, at 4:02 PM  

NO! Calculator guy was different than spazzy-copy guy.

By Blogger Loki, at 4:24 PM  

So, wait, copy guy only has 1 of each title checked out? Why on god's green earth would he need to know which copy is checked out to him? Is he stalking the other copies in other branches to see if he has the *best* one? Maybe hoping to find his tail while on the quest? While I'm sure the answer to all these questions is too frightening for my tech serv soul, should you ever find out, please do tell.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:14 AM  

This bit of insanity indeed blew my mind. I tried and tried to discover the reason for wanting to find out which copy but all I got were lies - like saying he had more than 1 copy checked out.

To compound the whole issue, neither of those books were due for another 6 weeks!

By Blogger Loki, at 2:51 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home