Librarian Ire

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

ILL insanity

Yes dear readers, it is time for another update on the insanity and incompetence that is ILL Lending. Well in some places. Not MY unit.
This episode started several weeks ago.

We got a book back from a library with a little yellow post-it note stuck in it's pages (and as any librarian knows that's a bad thing to do to a book) saying that this book was sent to the wrong library. I say we got it back, but it was sent to the wrong lending unit and they had to send it to us. So add another day to the shipping times.

These things happen. I am not saying that I do them, but the paperwork could get confused or the shipping department was really busy that day. So I find out where the book was supposed to go. I look it up and am a little confused at the information there. They got the book, and gave it to the patron(I assume as they had it a month) and then sent it back to us. With the wrong library note in it. And nothing else. No paperwork, no thank you note, no address labels.

And this is not the first time this has happened at this library. The last time there was a problem they sent the book back saying our patron didn't ask for it, when of course we had all the information down on the request copy. Then they realized that the patron still needed it and had to ask us for it again! I laughed.
What are these people smoking?

2 comment(s):

Is it another University library, or a different library on your campus? I'd like to know whichever - put them on my ILL list (the good, the bad, the ugly!)

By Blogger Loki, at 12:51 PM  

Another university. In the great state of PA.

By Blogger Nike, at 2:23 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home