Librarian Ire

Monday, January 24, 2005

What I didn't learn in Lib. School.

I have uncovered the secret to success as a librarian! Surprisingly it has nothing to do with databases, classification, or instruction; you do not need a masters degree, a college degree, or a diploma of any variety.

The secret? A computer and knowledge of "How to...". That is:

How to turn it on.
How to log in.
How to print.
How to open Word.
How to save.
How to email.
How to put in a floppy.
How to plug in headphones.

There is no need to have books, serials, or archives. Today's undergraduate doesn't know how to use these. You only even need to get a single user license for databases because the students come to the reference desk to find that one scholarly article required for their papers. ("No, Time Magazine is not a scholarly publication") ONE article! I am horrified at the educational standards of my current place of employment. Notice, I did not say shocked, the shock has long ago disappeared, the horror has remained and added to my growing list of synonyms: dufus, ass, dumbass, moron, boob, nincompoop, meathead, pinhead, blockhead, bonehead, schmuck, twit, twerp, pisher, ignoramous, fool, dunce, dolt, dimwit, dorkus, dumbell, dumdum, dunce, and the even tactful, simpleton. Sigh.

"I'd love to show you how to print your email."

3 comment(s):

Wow what a plethora of insults. Schmuck. That's one you forget about. Lovely to say and so descriptive.

By Blogger Nike, at 4:06 PM  

I love the word Schmuck. Usually I use it in reference to Jetta drivers. What is wrong with those people??

By Blogger Loki, at 5:37 PM  

Another thing I didn't learn - a truly bitchin' karate shop.

Overdue fine??! "HI-YA!!"

By Blogger Loki, at 2:40 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home