Librarian Ire

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Damn incompents

Fairly busy here in the library despite the snow. What amazed me is that people were waiting outside the door for me to unlock it.
Don't these people have lives? Actually I think they just want to use the internet. Sheesh.
Snowdrifts to your knees, 15 degree weather, and high winds and you have to check your e-mail?
I could understand if this was paper time. But it's only the first month of the semester. What's due?

And to top it off, I am here alone. So that means I am chained to the desk for the next 7 hours. I doubt the student workers will come in. Lovely.
Good thing I brought a few books to read. I'll need them. I will go hungry though. DAMN IT!
And when I went through the opening procedures I noticed that the people who closed last night did a piss-poor job of it. Computer still on, half empty soda bottles left on floors, books scattered all over the reference room.
I knew hiring a first time library worker as a supervisor was a mistake. I don't care how smart, nice and eager she was to work here. The kid misses a lot of basic stuff. We need a Saturday checklist. And we should make her work a week day shift. I don't get that. She only works on Saturdays. She's never worked in a library before and she had one week of training last summer. So why is she in charge one day a week?
No one's schedule is that crowded that you can't fit a 3 hour shift in somewhere between Monday and Friday.
But the boss likes her, so she overlooks the mistakes and when the other students say this wasn't done or why is that like that, it's someone else's fault.
Gotta lay the groundwork carefully for this one.
And the only time you hear from her is when she can't work or she is mad at you for telling her how to do the job. Well, if you paid attention the first 6 times when we went over it we wouldn't have this problem, now would we?
Sheesh.

1 comment(s):

What sort of kinky library you at - chaining you to the desk. You got something going on with the Serials guy??!

By Blogger Loki, at 2:41 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home