Librarian Ire

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Book Carts.

Today I am anti-book carts.

The problem is, I don't understand why something so simple - 4 pieces of wood or metal and 4 wheels - has to cause so much aggravation. If it's a metal cart then its too loud, the wheels rattle, the paint chips; if it's a wooden book truck the wood splits, the wheels don't turn, and its too heavy. Is it so much to ask that a cart is light weight, relatively silent, durable, and turns with ease? Currently I am subjected to the wooden book trucks. The genius that designed these made it so only one set of the wheels turn. You never know which set it is until you give the cart a push, then depending on what it runs into you can determine which end turns. Of course, now that you have found the end that turns you need to determine if your pushing or pulling the truck and thus if its better to be doing one or the other on the turning end or the other. I swear to god it takes me a good 5 minutes and running into 2 walls and a book stack before I can start pushing the darn thing. Then of course I have to deal with the swaying. Any moment it seems that the wood will just shoot apart and send books flying in every direction. When I arrived I just assumed that the trucks were antiques and the library was to cheap to purchase new ones. My hopes of frugality were dashed when 2 months ago 2 new book carts were ordered - Surprise! They are exactly the same as the others. Brilliant. I need me a Guiness.

2 comment(s):

At least you have new book carts. Our director refuses to order new ones. Which means during the high book return times we run out and are forced to stack books on the floors and in window alcoves and anywhere else there is space.
One year we had a book tower. It was over 5 feet high!

By Blogger Nike, at 9:02 PM  

Deleted stupid-ass spammer comment. "Make Mondy Now" because that has everything to do with bookcarts. Geez. They must have monkeys doing the programming for that stuff.

By Blogger Loki, at 7:53 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home