Librarian Ire

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Nothing better to do

For those you keeping count another ILL idiot.

Apparently this student realized that I would have NOTHING better to do on the first day back from the long Easter weekend so she very kindly sent me many ILL requests. Why thank you so much. I wouldn't have known what to do with myself with only lost books to be found, paging books for the rest of the student body, or shelving. Oh, no. That's not enough to keep two people busy for 8 hours.(HA!)
There was nothing more important for me to do than look for one dozen ILL requests for the most obscure journals ever published.(I am serious about the 12 requests.)
I spent hours looking for these books. (Thank you RLIN21)There were 3 that weren't listed in any database that I could see.
I had to ask a library in Australia for another one, since they were the only place on the PLANET EARTH that had this journal! Which is always a good sign.
Tip, if you can't find it in this country, maybe you are doing the wrong topic.

And it really ticks me off when you ask for a 5 page article via ILL when the main library has the whole set in the reference room! I find great joy in cancelling those type of requests.
I know you didn't want to check out the book, because you asked for p.63-72. So you could have walked your little self down to the main library, and copied it instead of bothering ME! The whole point of Interlibrary Loan is if we don't have what you are looking for you can get it from someone who does. So to use it when your library does own the item baffles me.
Either it's laziness or stupidity. And I REALLY hope it's laziness.

2 comment(s):

Eh. I'd rather have stupidity than laziness. After you tell them the fifth or sixth time, they finally catch on. But stupid people, well, you can scold them til the cows come home, and they'll never get it. And at least you can feel sorry for the "stupid" people. Laziness just makes me angry.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 PM  

I forgot to mention that this person is a nursing student. THAT's why I hope it's only laziness.

By Blogger Nike, at 12:09 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home