Librarian Ire

Saturday, September 09, 2006

How dare they?

That was the theme that this older bald guy had today. What a start to the morning.

He was mortally offended that someone dared to recall a book that he had checked out.
He demanded that we tell him who had recalled the book from him. "Because if it's another student I am not going to return it."

I had to explain about the U.S. Patriot Act and the privacy policy as well as my ethical concerns about civil liberties. I still don't think that he believed me. Or cared. He would have cared if I had given his information out. And if he keeps this up all year I just might. It'd be a tough battle between ethics and revenge, but my people hold grudges really really well. It's just not a good idea to piss off the person who can edit your record. And turn you into the FBI.
He kept right on ranting about the fact that he was told he could have this book for months and wasn't finished with it. We tell you that it can be recalled at any time. If you choose to ignore us or believe you are exempt, well then you have more problems than I can help you with.

But no. It wasn't his fault. It's an integral flaw in the system we use. I don't know what he wanted me to do right then. The system we use, while not perfect, is better than before. So he didn't get sympathy for me. And ranting and raving wasn't endearing him to the patrons waiting behind him.
I gave him the standard options, waiting to recall it again, buying the book, or using ILL. That wasn't good enough for him.
He wanted his book right now with no interruptions whatsoever. Then he should have bought it. I bet he's a paper abuser too. He has that aura.

1 comment(s):

Did you try, "Well sir, you are just so bright we didn't think it would take you longer than 2 weeks to read one tiny book."

By Blogger Loki, at 8:14 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home