Librarian Ire

Monday, August 14, 2006

Not even gum?

Now that's a question that should not even be asked in a library. No we don't allow food in a library and that includes candy of any kind. So yes, gum is on that list.
It took me a moment to recover from her next question. Why don't you allow gum?

Gee, aside from the University food policy, which I just explained to you. We here at the library feel that it's a bad thing to have something you can stick to stuff. Chairs, tables, desks, computer monitors, keyboards, shelving units, and oh yeah BOOKS.

I have an addendum for the punishment code. Librarians are allowed to cut out tongues.

4 comment(s):

I thought all university libraries allowed food and drink these days. Our library even has a coffee and muffin kiosk.

Besides, half of library users read their books while sitting on the toilet. Food is the least of our worries.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 AM  

No not all university libraries allow food.
Aside from the clean-up of half empty coffee cups and soda cans(which isn't in my job description) there are spills, and stains as well as bugs and mice.
If you won't tolerate it in your home, why on earth would you want to deal with it in a workspace?

By Blogger Nike, at 8:54 AM  

You don't eat or drink in your house?

Seriously, though, I can see your point but we haven't had any garbage or vermin problems. People are still pretty respectful of our library, which impresses me since it's on a huge state university campus.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:02 PM  

We're sort of half and half here... some libraries on campus you can eat, some you can't, some you can eat on certain floors but not on others.

There are always spills. I don't think we have 2 chairs in the entire library that you can't see that someone has spilled something in the past. Pizza deliveries really piss me off. If you get your pizza delivered to my circ desk when your no where to be found, I am kicking the guy out! I am so not their butler...

The realistic thing is though, everyone is going to eat & drink. Telling them NO! is sort of pointless. I mean, I always snuck food in. But if someone knows the policy and just wants to argue with you, then let them argue. Asking about gum sort of points out this person just likes to be difficult. If she was serious about eating she wouldn't have asked and wouldn't have done it in front of you.

By Blogger Loki, at 8:36 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home