Librarian Ire

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Interview Limbo.

Had myself an interview with a well known and respected university considerably south of where I live recently.
I applied for the position as a lark really. I saw it posted and thought how interesting. Some months later I saw it was still up. So I figured what the hell?
I got the call saying they wanted to interview me. Cool.
Except I forgot how freakishly hot it gets there. Hell isn't that hot.
They asked a lot of questions. Nineteen! Which actually isn't as many as you might think.
Good ones too. They asked me about how I manage my time when it's really bad at the desk(I'm paraphrasing) and I have important papers/project to complete. Another was about stress management. (I didn't think answering I blog about the idiots who I come in contact with was what they were looking for.)
They asked about the most successful and most unsuccessful teams I've been on. Co-worker relations was another big deal. How do you handle difficult co-workers? And my favorite one was about diversity. How do you handle different cultures, personalities, religion, ect in a large professional work place?
While I think I did all right answering most of the questions, there were a few that I had trouble with. One they asked was about the future of circulation with all the new technology. Where do I see it going and how would we have to define our role? That was hard for me. I have some ideas, but in that situation it's hard to pick one and define it in 100 words or less.
Overall I did okay. In interviews it's often hard to tell. The feedback and the vibes were positive. I did notice the body language was positive and open. So maybe I have a good shot.
I didn't go in with the expectation I'd be hired. In fact this is the first time I applied for a 'professional' posting. And I'd be shocked comatose, if someone who works there didn't apply for the job as well. Being familiar with the routine and people does give you an advantage. But the experience was great and I got to visit a few places on the "things to see before I die list." A mini-vacation.

I'd love the job, to be honest. It looks like something I can do and do well. It's in a great city. It's more responsibility and potential to move up. I'd even get my own office! But on the other hand, they don't appear to pay very well, and it's one of the more expensive cities in the USA to live in.
Also it's quite a hike from family and friends.

1 comment(s):

Well, I heard back. I will not be moving anytime soon.
But on the bright side I have 'impressive credentials"
Hey it's a step. I have a strong feeling that it was an internal hire.
There were like 4 circulation 'managers' who had worked there for ages. Updates will be forthcoming. :)

By Blogger Nike, at 5:22 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home