Librarian Ire

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Celery woman

A new student has appeared. I am calling her Celery Woman because any woman who has reached her age(late 40's) and hair color(fading blonde) should know better than to wear a celery green top and dark green slacks. She looks like a piece of celery with legs.
But she is head and shoulders above the rest of the idiots we have seen today. She came in three times in 1 hour to ask questions about the reserves. How to check them out, how to look them up, can she take them home, how to look them up again. She asked the same questions over and over again.
And she pitched a fit when we wouldn't let her take the reserve books out of the library. Not for 2 hours. Overnight, sure. That was the latest question.
Just now she wanted to know how to add money to her copy card. Stick it in and then add the money. "I did that. The machine keeps spitting out my card." Did you put the card in with the arrow facing the right way?" Oh no. I'll try that.
I can't live with this type of idiotcy for a whole year.

2 comment(s):

Just get used to having "needy patrons". I work in an academic library where our (older) graduate student population has a few technolgy challenged patrons. For two years I've been showing the same woman how to look up and request a book. Yes, she is a graduate student. I don't know how she made it this far.

By Blogger two bits, at 2:53 PM  

I am used to having needy patrons, just not used to the level of stupidty that they descend to in a higher learning institution. It's scary.

By Blogger Nike, at 5:25 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home