Librarian Ire

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Licensing Required

I'm thinking that the operation of any technical equipment should require a license. I mean, sure we have all sorts of software and computers and stuff, but that doesn't mean its my job to teach you how to operate them. If you don't know how to use a mouse - go away. If you don't know what 'wireless' means, you can't use it. If you don't know how to use Photoshop you're shit out of luck because neither do I and I'm not learning! (Well, I wouldn't mind learning, but I will still assert I don't know how b/c I'm not providing training on it!)

Today I got a guy come ask me for help with his scanning. I dutifully follow him over to the machine.

"Is there any way we can adjust the image quality?"
"Well no," I tell him as we trek over "we just have the base model scanner and we've got it set up for middle of the road b/c we don't want people messing it all up." hint hint

When I get over to the machine, I examine the document.
"What exactly do you want to correct?" I ask, already having deduced what this guy's problem is.
"Well, look - its all blurry you can't read a thing."
"You know this is just the preview, right? When you close this little operation screen the full size image appears." He was complaining about the quality of the 4"x 6" screen miniature of the scanned document.

"Oh! Cool."

Thank god he didn't have a thumb drive - who knows where in the heck he would have tried sticking that!

2 comment(s):

I find it interesting that people who are so quick to take offense at the most bland inoffensive statements, like how's the weather, can be so obtuse when you want them to take the hint.

By Blogger Nike, at 11:53 AM  

Well, I could go with "yeah!" or "right on sister" here... but instead I'll take the obvious route and say: "What in the hell are you talking about?"

Either I'm missing the step between my comment and yours, or you're messing with me knowing I'm all hopped up on the juice.

By Blogger Loki, at 12:53 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home