Librarian Ire

Monday, March 14, 2005

Here's a Commie...

(oops. Not like the "bastards" but like the pretentious shortening of a word. Like saying "bennies" instead of benefits. My mind is obviously on the actions of my arch-nemesis.)

AnyWAY. A common ILL patron "Doh!" They return their ILL book. You ask, "Are you returning this?" "Yes." They assert. They stand there while you check it in. Watch carefully as you direct the book back to its appropriate library and THEN go:

"I didn't finish reading that book. Can I renew it?"

Alllrightey, let's read this big white sleeve that is wrapped around the front of the book. Hmm. Title. Author. Owning Library. Borrower Name. Borrowing Library. Barcode. Address. Hmm - here in this 24 pt, all caps, bolded font is says "For renewals or any borrowing questions call 555-5555."

"Did you call the department?"
"I didn't know I was supposed to."
"When is the book due?"
"It was due a couple weeks ago."

Oh god. I counted like 6 idiot infractions there. THEN, when I made them call the ILL department and ask, this is what they say:

"You have reserved a book for me that I just checked out and I would like to renew it."

2 comment(s):

Today I heard "alpha" when referring to the word alphabetical.

Do 3 extra syllabels really make that big a difference?

By Blogger Loki, at 10:21 AM  

NAH. Just lazy

By Blogger Nike, at 5:00 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home