Librarian Ire

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Now you see me...

Why is it, when patrons come to the desk, they always come up on the far side of counter where you are standing? There's nobody down there! Come over here!

To expound things, when they finally come over to where you are patiently waiting to help them, they stop at the checkout computer you are not standing in front of.

"Just a couple more steps... come on... that's it - you can do it."

Are they obtuse or are they poking at you with a stick?

3 comment(s):

I know. What is it with that? Do they think there is the invisible library assistant over there to help them?
I usually tell them, I can help you over here.
My thing with that is when you have books you are checking in or are helping someone else they stand at the other end. Do you think I like to run back and forth like a rat in a trap?

By Blogger Nike, at 12:04 PM  

Happened again! I'm standing at a computer. The student walks past me, to the second - unoccupied - computer and waits. I'm looking over at him and I'm like "Can I help you?" Not moving - because what the heck is his mental problem??

He stayed where he was, eventually I had to walk over there.

I just do NOT understand.

By Blogger Loki, at 3:50 PM  

Happens to me all the time, too. We have 2 chairs at our info desk and if the other info person goes on break, I'm alone at the far end of the desk. If the patron stands at the side of the counter rather than in front, I can't even see them because my chair faces towards the children's department, so am often startled when I turn around to get something and there's someone standing there patiently staring off into space. I'm short, but I'm not that easy to miss, folks.

Tiny Little Librarian

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:44 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home