Librarian Ire

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

And here we go!

Ahh, a place to rant. Thank the gods. I work at a large academic library.
We get a lot of non-students here. One recent incident stands out.
Something to know before I get into my rant is that we have moveable shelving in the place where I work. Sometimes people close them without checking to see if anyone is there. I myself am guilty of this. Nearly crushed a balding professor.
Anyway, this woman came in to look around and drive the staff crazy. After she left, we get a call from her to complain about the shelving. It happens that someone closed the range she was in and injured her foot. (I had visions of lawsuits dancing in my head)
I was sympathetic and suggested to her that she should have called out to stop them or lock the area you were in.
She thought that that wouldn't be enough and wanted signs on every area of moveable stacks.(Not gonna happen, babe) All our stacks are movable.

5 comment(s):

See, at my library those librarians completely out of touch with relatity (you know, the ones making the decisions) would post signs on every stack - all 200 if there were that many. There are so many signs in this place I could get lost if I read any of them.

I find it curious that most of the staff do not want to admit the stupidity factor that exists in a percentage of our population. No matter how many signs at least 1 person will not 'see' them and be crushed in the stacks.

By Blogger Loki, at 5:58 PM  

Yeah, the signage issue bugs me too. At my library, there sometimes are not enough signs where they are needed and too many when they are pointless. Not that any patrons read them anyway. I have my doubts about who actually knows how to read there.

By Blogger Nike, at 10:50 PM  

Sorry for the late comment, but I have only just found this blog.

I too work in a large academic library, and we do have signs on every one of our moveable shelf units, and people still try to crush each other.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:14 PM  

As for trying, I wish we had moveable shelving here b/c I'd lay in wait for a few people and definitly try to crush them!

Shelving of death - librarian weapon of choice.

By Blogger Loki, at 7:51 AM  

Someone should write a mystery with shelves as the murder weapon/s.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:29 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home